17 April, 2015

Camera Cake & Why Perfectionism actually IS my weakness

In nearly every "What not to do at an interview" article I've read it says NOT to say that being a perfectionist is your weakness. I get that, because majority of people aren't perfectionists but claim to be to look good to potential employers.

My gripe with this? Being a perfectionist actually is my weakness.

Am I 100% perfect all the time? God no. Do I want to be? Hell yes. That, is my problem.

I once read somewhere (I think Tumblr?) that Perfectionists are actually the laziest people, because unless they can do it 100% perfect, they don't want to do it at all. I completely agree with that. If I can't do something to the fullest, I don't even want to waste my time thinking about it.

Recently I've calmed down a lot and you can read about my latest changes to my lifestyle here, but before I was constantly coming up with bright ideas and chopping and changing when I realised I might not be able to do my idea to 100% perfection.

Camera Cake
I made this cake for my mum as she loves photography. It was my first attempt at actually making something out of cake (Before I'd only made simple cakes and made things from fondant icing) and for a first attempt, it's pretty good. So why did I spend ages crying over this cake?!

The answer is, it wasn't perfect. It didn't matter how many times my mum told me she loved it, or how many times my boyfriend told me it was great for a first time, it wasn't the perfect camera cake. If you google Camera cake, there are some amazing ones and mine would never be one of those.
I think sometimes we are all too hard on ourselves- cake decorators, bloggers, make up artists, actors, dancers, singers... anyone. We are given these expectations that your life has to be perfect and everything you do, everything you touch has to turn to gold and that's just not going to happen. For a first attempt, this cake is good. I wasn't even sure if I was going to be able to carve the cake, let alone ice it etc.

Sometimes, I think we all need to remember that being a perfectionist is a weakness but like every weakness it can be overcome and good things can come from it. Am I going to try this cake again? Damn right. Is it going to be better? Hell yeah. Am I going to cry if it's not? Maybe, but hopefully not.

Any perfectionists sitting out there reading this and nodding along? Or do you think I'm a bit crazy? Let me know!

10 comments:

  1. That camera cake is so cute, Sian. And for a first time it's pretty impressive! I dread to think what my first time using fondant will turn out like, let alone attempting to sculpt a cake into any other shape that a circle or square, ha! I think you deserve a big patch on the back. Don't be so hard on yourself! x

    www.cakecrumbs-and-pages.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I still don't think it's great but I've learned to accept it haha. I'm sure your first time using fondant will be fab! :) xx

      Delete
  2. I think it's a lot more about the thought you and effort you put in. Of course your Mum loves it!

    I love how you said that perfectionists are lazy because they don't want to do something unless they can do something 100% - I love this! It's very me!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, when I first heard it I realised how much like me it is too, it's SO true! x

      Delete
  3. Such a cute cake, and really amazing! I have to confess, I am such a perfectionist. It's the little things that get on my nerves that need to be perfect, from always putting pens back in their case in rainbow order, to not stopping doing a piece of work until I am 100% happy with it. And, surprisingly it bug me! It's annoying how I can't leave a few jars out of place and they have to be perfect! I take after my sister who always says to be 'perfection takes time' if I'm working on a piece of art and I have lost patience, but really, I just want to leave it! Haha, I loved this post though, thank you! :) x

    Karis // karisatkinson.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand! It can be a real pain, and SO hard to overcome! Thank you for your lovely comment! :) x

      Delete
  4. I sooo relate. If it's not perfect I HATE it. I shouldn't have done it. I should just redo it all. Perfectionism is tough to deal with. I think your cake looks fantastic!!

    I would be so happy if you took at peek at my blog http://abigaildaybyday.blogspot.ca/2015/05/the-toys-are-vintage-are-we-vintage.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's so difficult! Thank you for your comment! xx

      Delete
  5. Omg this is incredible! You put my baking to shame hahaha Xxxx

    foreverebekka.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha aww thank you, that's so sweet! :) xx

      Delete

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns