28 June, 2015

My Cakey Tips! | Cake Decorating for Beginners

Baking tips for beginners
I thought it would be a nice idea to write a post with a few small tips about baking and cake decorating to help anyone out there who is thinking of starting to learn or is already learning. Here are my top tips:

  1. Remember that everyone has to start somewhere.
    I only started cake decorating last November and it was very much on a whim. I knew absolutely nothing, I could bake a little but I hadn't done any baking for ages. I read lots of books and online articles to teach me how to make yummy cakes and how to do the basics of cake decorating. Everything else has been a LOT of trial and error. Even now, I still make things like my Camera Cake and think "eurgh, this is rubbish!". Please don't be intimidated by other cake decorators or bakers out there, they were a beginner once too!

  2. Take your time when making things
    Cake Decorating takes time and patience. Sometimes I can whip up a little Panda in about 15 minutes. Other times it can take half an hour, you just can't always put an exact timing on things, especially if you want it to look perfect. To give you an example, I made a Goofy Cake for my best friend's birthday and it took me FIVE HOURS to complete.

  3. Don't be afraid to ask for help!
    There are some lovely cake decorators on Twitter who will be more than happy to answer your questions, they were so helpful to me! I've heard some bad things about the Facebook groups though, so I would probably recommend Twitter more so.

  4. If you're going to make a LOT of cakes, buying fondant in bulk is cheaper
    But it's only worth it if you are actually going to use that much fondant! I went to Hobbycraft and bought a LOT of fondant, and it came to £40. I probably could have got it for cheaper online in bulk, but I wasn't sure if I would need to use that much fondant! Definitely something to consider though! I've only seen fondant in bulk online, but if anyone knows of any shops, let me and everyone else know in the comments!

  5. Have fun!
    It doesn't matter if your cake looks incredible or not, just make sure that you are enjoying baking and decorating. You will learn so much so quickly, but only if you're enjoying it!

If you are a baker or a cake decorator, what tips would you give? Let us know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not I've never baked a cake, and it's something I'd love to try out! My mum used to bake a lot when I was younger, but neither of us seem to find time now between work and college etc. Hopefully we can whip something up over the Summer holidays x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely believe it! The Great British Bake Off and similar programmes seem to have boosted baking a lot, but for a lot of people it seems really scary. If you like, you can try my chocolate chip cookies recipe, they only take half an hour and are super yummy! :) xx

      Delete

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns