06 September, 2015

Tower of London

As I mentioned in one of my previous blog posts, recently my mum's American penpal came to England to visit us and to see the sights we have to offer. I told you all about our visit to Hampton Court Palace, but the next place I visited with them was the Tower of London.

The Tower of London has a pretty bad reputation as a bit of a "torture palace", due to it being the place that Henry VIII used to lock up all of the people he assumed to be traitors and where the majority of them were killed. But before that, it was actually a place for protection for the Kings and Queens against enemies and it was really interesting to learn about that! 

Having said that... I did find the trip a little boring. It probably sounds a bit gory, but I actually wished you could have seen where people died and where they were locked up to await death, simply because that is a huge part of the tower's history and what most people know it for. You can see where Anne Boleyn was beheaded, however it's only a patch of grass with nothing on it, so there isn't really much to show for it :/

I did enjoy seeing the Crown Jewels however. You can't take photos inside so I unfortunately can't show them to you, but they are absolutely magnificent and something you should definitely see for yourself. 

If you are looking for the more "gory" side of the Tower, there is an area which shows you some of the instruments they used to torture traitors, like the rack. There was one called the Scavengers Daughter, which I had never heard of before but apparently they would make the person put their calves against their thighs and their thighs against their chest, so they were basically curled into a ball, and then they would crush them slowly to death. It was the most barbaric form of torture, it sounds awful!!

I thought I'd share some of my favourite photos with you like I did in my Hampton Court post- let me know what you think!

In the original part of the Tower, this was the previous throne room. The throne looks grand but it was surprising how bland and boring the actual room was!

This is Traitor's gate- where traitors were brought in to be locked up or beheaded. This is where Anne Boleyn would have been brought in. Isn't history interesting?!

I love this picture of Henry VIII's suit of armour- look at the groin area hahaha! Pfft, he wished...

How odd does it look to have the olde-style Tower of London against the modern buildings of London?!

I do think the Tower of London is worth seeing, but maybe have something else planned for afterwards! My mum and her friend loved it, so maybe I am alone in thinking it was a bit boring, so let me know what you think if you've visited before!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns