25 October, 2015

Marble Cake | #WrenFamilyFavourites

#WrenFamilyFavourites


Everyone has those recipes that they made with their parents or grandparents as a child, don't they? Those wonderful foods that as soon as you see, smell or taste them bring back all of the memories of those special people. Wren Kitchens has come up with a fantastic campaign (#WrenFamilyFavourites) to hear all of those nostalgic memories- and I was lucky enough to be chosen to be part of it!

Growing up, my mum used to bake the most amazing cakes, she's probably the person who influenced my baking the most. She didn't do much in terms of decorating, but her cake baking was fantastic and I remember getting super excited every time I smelt one of her cakes baking in the oven.

My favourite cake of hers was a Marble cake- a vanilla sponge cake with chocolate swirls running through it. For me, this cake just completely reminds me of my childhood and the special treat every time we had this cake.

I'm going to show you how to make your own Marble Cake for you and your family to enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 225g butter
  • 225g caster sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 225g self raising flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees and grease a 8in cake tin.
  2. In a mixing bowl, whisk your butter until it is smooth and soft. Then add in the caster sugar.
  3. Add the eggs, making sure that all is mixed in well.
  4. Sieve the flour and add slowly to the mixture, stirring while you add.
  5. Once all is mixed in, pour 1/4 of the mixture into another mixing bowl. 
  6. In the second smaller mixture, add the cocoa powder (sieved) and stir until all is mixed in well.
  7. In the first mixture, add the vanilla extract. 
  8. This takes time but is worth it- spoon in the two mixtures into the cake tin one at a time,  making sure that it is evenly spread so there are no gaps. Have fun with it, spoon chocolate over vanilla and then vanilla over chocolate etc.!
  9. Once all of the two mixtures are in the cake tin, take a skewer and start swirling! Make sure that you don't make the chocolate become too dominant or else you'll end up with just a chocolate cake. 
  10. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. 
  11. Leave to cool completely and then the rest is up to you- Marble cakes usually look pretty enough without decorating, but if you want to surprise people you can cover the outside so they only discover the marbley goodness once they cut themselves a slice! 
#WrenFamilyFavourites

Please let me know if you try to make this cake yourself as I'd love to see them- and make sure you check out Wren Kitchen's blog to see the other campaign recipes!

*This post is part of the Wren Kitchens' Family Favourites campaign and I was not paid to write this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns