18 November, 2015

Beauty and the Beast Cake

It's been a while since I made a "big bake", the last time I tried was my Castle Cake. I don't make big cakes very often simply because of the time they take, I remember the castle cake took 8 hours! This cake probably took around 5-6 hours with baking, cooling and decorating time.

Beauty and the Beast Cake


The top tier is meant to represent Belle with her yellow dress and the bottom tier represents the Beast in his dinner suit. I used Renshaw Fondant* to cover the cakes and for the decorating. I've been a big fan of Renshaw's fondant ever since I started decorating as it's really good quality and you have less issues like "elephant skin" and cracks.

I had to learn a new technique, draping fondant, for Belle's tier and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, although I think I definitely need practice. I also wish I'd make the cakes taller, but that would have added more time on- and who would eat all that cake?! Haha.

I'm pretty happy with this cake overall though, definitely more happy than I have been with previous big bakes. I find it really hard to not be so hard on myself and actually allow myself to learn and make mistakes, but that's something I'm definitely trying to work on.

Let me know what you think- and if you have any suggestions for my next big bake!

*Renshaw sent me the fondant that I used for this cake but all opinions are 100% my own as they always are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns