07 January, 2016

How to make the perfect Cupcakes | Baking Tutorials

How to make perfect cupcakes

Everyone loves cupcakes right?! They're small, they're cute and you can decorate them in so many different ways.

They're also pretty easy, however sometimes even the easiest things to make require a few tips and tricks to help them reach perfection- so I thought I'd share some of my tips!

I'm in no way an expert nor am I telling you what to do, I just wanted to share with you some tips and tricks I've picked up on while baking! 


How to make perfect cupcakes

The best way to get even cupcakes is to use an ice cream scoop! You know when you spoon your mixture into the cupcake case, then they bake and some are big, some are small, some are medium sizes? If you want to get pretty much the same size cupcake every time, try using an ice cream scoop to scoop the mixture into the cases. That way, you know exactly how much mixture goes in every time!

Don't overfill the cases! I usually do my cases 3/4 full, so they have room to rise but you still end up with a good sized cupcake!

Too much baking powder or raising agent will make them crack! When I first started baking, especially chocolate cupcakes, I'd find that as my cupcakes came out of the oven they'd have cracked on top which made them difficult to ice! I found out that this is because I was adding in too much baking powder which caused them to over-rise and crack in half!

Bake your cupcakes in the centre of your oven! You get the best amount of heat there and they will bake much better!

Never open the oven door until they are cooked! This is true with anything you bake really, not just cupcakes- if you open the oven door before they are properly baked, the sudden burst of cold(er) air will cause them to fall and they won't have a nice rounded top. They may even sink right down so you have a weird bowl shaped cupcake!

Cupcakes won't last weeks on end! If you're making cupcakes for an event or bake sale, your best bet is to try and make them 1 or 2 nights in advance for the best results. If your event is on a Friday, you might be tempted to bake them the weekend before and store in an airtight container but they won't keep as well. For my Halloween Bake Sale, I made my cupcakes on the Wednesday night and stored in an airtight container until I iced them on the Thursday night, then stored back into the air tight container for the bake sale on Friday.

Frost the entire cupcake top if you want to retain moisture! If you do want to keep your cupcakes fresher for longer, frost the entire top of the cupcake right to the edges. The frosting will help it keep it's moisture and they will last longer. You will still need to store them in an airtight container though!

Take the cupcakes out of the tin once they are done baking! I always forget to do this because I don't want to burn my hands, but it does stop the cakes from peeling away from their cases. If you've ever had this problem, this could be why! As you can see above, I didn't do that for these cupcakes and they peeled away from their cases quite a lot!


So there you have it! My top tips for baking cupcakes. I hope they help you and please let me know if they do!

If you have any tips, please leave them in the comments for us all to read!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns