21 January, 2016

Vanilla Sponge Cake | Baking Basics

Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe


When I first started baking, I remember going to make a plain vanilla sponge cake and then thinking "oh... I don't know how!".

Although they're simple, you still need a recipe right?! So I decided I'm going to do a few posts with some simple recipes for those beginner bakers out there or for those of you who think you can't bake (You can, by the way)!

Ingredients

  • 225g Butter
  • 225g Caster Sugar
  • 4 Eggs
  • 225g Self-Raising Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease a 8" baking tin.

2. Mix together the butter and sugar until they have formed a creamy mixture.

3. Add the 4 eggs and mix well.

4. Sieve the self-raising flour and then add to the mixture

5. Add the baking powder and vanilla extract and mix well. 

6. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.

7. Once out of the oven, leave to cool before decorating! 

And that's it! It's SO simple that anyone can do it, I promise you! 


My Top Tips on getting a perfect cake:
  • Too much baking powder will funnily enough, make the cake sink. Only put in 1-2 tsps!
  • Store your cakes in an airtight container for them to last longer.
  • To make a Victoria Sponge, you can either make two of these cakes and sandwich them together with buttercream and jam (as I have done in the above picture), or using a sharp knife, slice your cake horizontally in half and sandwich together using buttercream and jam. 
  • Good quality ingredients will always make a big difference- but sometimes you can pay more for nothing. I find that supermarket own brand ingredients can often be just as good as the rest!
  • Has your cake come out with an uneven top? You can use a cake leveller to cut off the top and to make it level- or just turn it upside down. No one will ever know! ;)

Are you good at making cakes? If there's any recipes or tutorials you'd like to see, please let me know!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns