18 February, 2016

A cake fit for a Princess!

A couple of months ago, I went to the South East Bloggers Circle meet up where I met some fab ladies. One of those ladies, Dawn from Dear Mummy, contacted me a while later to ask if I would make her three year old's birthday cake in February, with the criteria being "a very pink Princess cake".

Being a Princess lover myself, I was SO excited to make this cake and set about drawing up a design to send to Dawn.

Being an idiot, I designed a cake design with a fondant crown on top, after watching a Youtube video on how to make them and thinking "that looks easy, I can do that!".

Well.

Turns out, I probably should have practised first because I have honestly never stressed out so much about a cake. It's different when you make them for friends and family, they have to sort of love the cake, but for someone you've only ever met once, the pressure is on.

What if they hate it? What if they tell everyone I'm awful and my future cake decorating business is over before it's even begun?!

So I took to Twitter and Facebook to ask my fellow cake decorators for advice and luckily some lovely ladies came to my rescue thank goodness!

And so here is my finished crown:



Once I've practised some more, I'll write up my own tutorial on how to do it- coming from someone who has seen ALL of the failed crowns, I'll be able to tell you what not to do ;)

And as for the cake? Well, you can see that here:


There are things I would like to change about it, but I tried my absolute hardest and I spent about a week on this cake. Dawn and Isabella luckily loved it and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

It's nice being part of people's memories and I'm so happy that they liked the cake. I definitely enjoyed making it and I've learnt some new tricks too!

What do you think of the cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns