29 February, 2016

Caramel Apple Turnovers


I've tried out a lot of different things this year so far, with my cake decorating and with my baking- for example last week's Macarons.


Pink Lady apples invited me to make something using their delicious apples and so I realised this was a chance to try out another new thing- Apple Turnovers! And not just any old apple turnovers... Caramel Apple Turnovers.

Yum, right?! 

This recipe is perfect for Autumn/Winter but lets face it, Apple turnovers are good all year round. And it's still so chilly that this will be the perfect thing to keep you warm!

To make 8 pastries, you will need:
  • 3 Pink Lady Apples*
  • 2 tbsps butter
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cornflour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 pack of chilled puff pastry (includes 2 sheets)
  • Caramel sauce for drizzling (I used this one)

Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and line a tray with baking paper.
  • Remove the core and peel the three apples. Dice them and put into a medium sized saucepan.
  • Add the butter, cinnamon, vanilla extract, cornflour and sugar into the saucepan.
  • Stir over a medium heat for 5 minutes and then leave to simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes.
  • Leave to cool while you prepare the pastry.
  • Roll out the pastry and cut into four squares
  • Add three tablespoons of the filling into the middle of each square
  • Fold diagonally in half- some of the filling will leak out but that's okay! 
  • Using a fork, crimp the edges to form a seal.
  • Beat 1 egg and brush over the pastries.
  • Cook in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.
  • Once out of the oven, drizzle caramel sauce over the pastries.
Apple Turnovers are best eaten on the same day! The smell of these turnovers is absolutely amazing, it had my entire household drooling. Once you add that caramel, these are IRRESISTIBLE.



And there you have it! I was actually so surprised at how easy these were to make, they took about 1 hour and they're ready to eat straight away, so none of that waiting around for it to cool. Add some ice cream and you've got a delicious treat! 

As always, let me know if you make these yourself by tweeting me @cakeydreamer or by using my hashtag on Instagram #cakeydreamerbakes!

Have you ever tried making apple turnovers?

*Pink Lady Apples provided me with a voucher to buy the apples and other ingredients needed to make this recipe, however as always, all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns