16 March, 2016

Why it's okay that we haven't set a wedding date yet


Ever since Dan proposed to me in Walt Disney World last June, we have been constantly plagued with questions:

"When's the wedding?"
"Have you set a date?"
"Why haven't you set a date?"
"What's the point of getting engaged if you're not getting married for years?"

Personally, I've always liked the idea of a long engagement. I can't explain why really, I just have. But the main reason Dan and I haven't set a date is because we're currently saving for a mortgage. He lives with me at my mum's house and I really don't want to be a married couple living at my Mum's.

Everyone and every couple are different. If you get engaged and you set a date the next day, then that's great and I'm so happy for you.

But just because we want to be different, that's completely up to us and I can't understand why people can't just let us do our own thing, as long as we're happy. 

At the end of the day, Dan proposed to me because we were in Walt Disney World and it was the perfect place to do it. He proposed because we wouldn't be going back to Walt Disney World for years and he wanted to do it there because it's a place that means a lot to both of us. 

He proposed because it's the commitment and the promise that yes, we will be getting married. Just because we're not getting married this year or next year doesn't mean that it's less of a commitment, which is what a few people have tried to tell me. "Well you're not really engaged then are you?" Actually, yes I am. 

Plus, once I'm married and I am Mrs Dan, I will become a wife- and I'm hoping to only do this once so I will be a wife forever. So why not make the most of being able to call myself a "fiance"? 

Again, I just want to say that this is NOT a dig at people who set a date straight away at all because that's obviously what is right for them and that's great! 

All I want is for people to not look at me like I'm an idiot when I say "oh we haven't set a date yet, we probably won't get married for a few years!". It's our wedding, our choice and our lives.

What do you think about this? Do you think it's okay to have a long engagement without setting a date?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns