12 April, 2016

Bow Cupcakes

Bow Cupcakes

I make a LOT of cupcakes I've noticed recently, but they're one of my favourite things to make as they don't take as long as big cakes but you can still make adorable results!

So when I had cake mix left over from my Epcot cake, I decided to make some cupcakes to decorate.

I went for a simple yet adorable (if I do say so myself) theme- a baby blue fondant covering with a cute ribbon! But don't worry, they're super simple to make and I am going to show you how!


You will need:

For the cupcakes
  • 225g Butter
  • 225g Caster Sugar
  • 4 Eggs
  • 225g Self-Raising Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the decoration
  • Small pack of baby blue fondant- or whatever colour you prefer
  • Small pack of white fondant- or whatever colour you prefer
  • Circle cutter
  • Rolling Pin
  • Edible Glue

METHOD
1. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees and line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake cases.

2. In a mixing bowl, mix the butter and the sugar and add in the eggs.

3. Mix in the flour, baking powder and vanilla extract.

4. Spoon into the cupcake cases (TIP: if you want all of your cupcakes the same size, use an ice cream scoop to spoon your mixture into each cupcake case!)

5. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

6. Leave to cool completely before attempting to decorate! 

7. Once cool, add a VERY light layer of buttercream frosting on the middle of the cupcake top. Make sure you don't go too near the edges or when you add the fondant layer it will squidge out!

8. Roll out your baby blue fondant to the desired thickness- you don't want it to be super thin but if the fondant is too thick it may not sit well on the cupcake! 

Bow Cupcakes

9. Measure a circle cutter against your cupcakes- you want it to be roughly the same size as the top of the cupcake.

Bow Cupcakes
NOTE: I only needed a small amount of fondant as I only covered 3 cupcakes, you will need more than this!

10. Using the circle cutter, cut out 12 circles of fondant for your cupcakes.

11. Place each circle on top of the cupcake, using the palm of your hand to smooth the fondant down. 

Bow Cupcakes

12. Cut out 12 small strips of white fondant to make your bows.

Bow Cupcakes

13. Fold each end of the strips into the middle to form the bow- don't worry if it doesn't look perfect yet! To make the bows look "fuller", you can pop two cake pop sticks or anything you have to keep them open. They will dry this way and look a lot better! Leave for 10-15 minutes to harden up slightly.

Bow Cupcakes

14. Cut small strips of white fondant and wrap around the centre of the bow.

15. Using your fingers, squeeze parts of the bow to make it look more "cutesy"! 

16. Attach to the cupcake using edible glue. 

17. Sit back and enjoy! ;)

Bow Cupcakes

If you make these cupcakes, I would love to see them so please feel free to tweet me @cakeydreamer or use my Instagram hashtag #cakeydreamerbakes! 

Let me know what you think of these cupcakes in the comments below!

Bow Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns