19 May, 2016

How to make a Princess Crown from fondant | Cake Decorating for Beginners

How to make a Princess Crown from fondant

Back in February, I made a Princess cake for Dawn, another lovely blogger who is local to me. Part of the design I drew up for her featured a fondant crown, which I googled how to make before agreeing to and thought it looked simple enough.

I was kind of right. Making a fondant crown isn't difficult, as long as you know how and you use the right materials.

I didn't know how and didn't know what the right materials were and had a few failed attempts which sent me into a panic. But thanks to a lot of research and the Bakers Hour Facebook Group, I managed to figure out what I was doing and the day was saved!

Since then, I've practised a few times to make sure that if I ever need to make a crown in future, I know what to do. And now that I know, I thought it was about time to write a tutorial to help those of you who might want to try this out for yourself!

You will need:

  • White ready-to-roll fondant (I use this one)
  • White flower & modelling paste (I use this one)
  • Rolling Pin
  • Knife or fondant cutter
  • Round object
  • Baking Paper
  • Edible Paint
Method

1. Take a large amount of your white ready to roll fondant icing and the same amount of your white flower & modelling paste and knead together until they become one ball of icing. 

NOTE: The reason for using both is because ready to roll icing is too soft to make a sturdy object like a crown, but modelling paste on it's own makes the crown super fragile and easy to break- so we mix them together to take the good qualities of both! 

2. Using your rolling pin, roll out to your desired thickness. NOTE: If you roll the fondant too thin, your crown will break easily. If you roll the fondant too thick, it will take ages to set hard.

3. Once you have rolled your fondant, cut out your crown shape with a knife or a fondant cutter. I've always loved the look of Princess Aurora's tiara from Sleeping Beauty and so usually go with that design, but this is up to you! 

How to make a Princess Crown from fondant

4. Find a round object big enough to wrap your crown around- this is what will give it it's shape. I usually use a jar because my crowns are quite small, but obviously it all depends on what size you are going for! Wrap baking paper around the object and sellotape to keep it in place. The baking paper will stop the fondant from sticking to the object and the crown breaking as you pull it away.

5. Wrap the crown around the round object with the baking paper. 

6. Leave to harden. Unfortunately I can't give you a time for this because it depends on how big your crown is and how thick your fondant is, but I usually leave mine overnight.

How to make a Princess Crown from fondant

7. Once it has hardened, remove the round object- if the crown is ready, it will be stiff and sturdy! 

8. Leave for a little while longer as the inside of the crown that was touching the baking paper may not have dried yet- you shouldn't need to leave it for more than 2 hours.

How to make a Princess Crown from fondant

9. Then, it's time to paint your crown! I usually use Dr Oetker's shimmer spray, although it doesn't always work well so I would recommend buying some edible paint and painting the crown.

How to make a Princess crown from fondant!

10. Leave to dry and then add to the top of your cake with edible glue! 

My tips:
  • Give yourself plenty of time if making for a cake for an event- I started my crown for Dawn's cake a week before the cake was due, which was good considering how many failed attempts I had! 
  • Always be gentle with your crown- it will be fragile! 
  • Never just pop the crown on top of a cake, make sure it is glued down with edible glue.
I really hope you found this helpful and I hope some of you try this out for yourselves! I was right when I thought it was easy, BUT it's only easy if you have a good understanding of what you need. Hopefully this post has given you that so it will be easy for you to make! 

If you do try this out for yourself, I'd LOVE to see it, so tweet me @CakeyDreamer or use my Instagram hashtag #cakeydreamerbakes! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns