24 May, 2016

Mario Kart Star Cookies

Mario Kart Star Cookies

If you have yellow food colouring, a star cookie cutter and ingredients to make cookie dough- what do you make?

Well, Mario Kart themed cookies OF COURSE!

Dan and I love to play Mario Kart. I'm actually a bit torn over whether or not I want to buy Wii U just so I can play the new version. I played it at my friend's house when we went to stay with her in Devon and it just seemed SO much better- but is it worth spending £250+ just for one game?

Anyway! So I decided to make star cookies and while I was icing them, I remembered the Nerdy Nummies Youtube Episode where she made Mario Kart themed treats and I suddenly thought- why not make my stars into the stars from Mario Kart?!

So, I piped some black eyes onto the stars and hey presto- a treat fit for any gaming fan! Well.. as long as they liked Mario I guess...

If you want to make these for a Mario fan in your life, I'm sharing the recipe!

Ingredients (makes 24-30 cookies)

For the Biscuits
  • 350g Plain Flour 
  • 100g Self Raising Flour 
  • 125g Granulated Sugar 
  • 125g Butter 
  • 125g Golden Syrup 
  • 1 tsp Vanilla extract 
  • 1 large egg
For the Royal Icing
  • 300g Royal Icing Sugar
  • 2-3 tsps of water
  • Yellow Food Colouring
  • Black Food Colouring
Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.

2. Sift both flours into a mixing bowl and add the sugar.

3. Add the butter, mixing with your fingertips to create breadcrumbs.

4. Lightly beat an egg and then add it to the mixture with the golden syrup and vanilla extract.

5. Mix well until the mixture has formed a ball.

6. Roll out your mixture to your desired thickness, about 1cm.

7. Using a star shaped cutter, cut out as many cookies as you can. Keep rolling up left over dough into a ball and roll out again using a rolling pin to make sure you get as many cookies out of the mix as possible!

8. Put your cookies onto a pre-lined baking tray and bake in the oven for around 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. I always find that when I get these cookies out of the oven, they're always very soft like cake but harden to be a soft biscuit once they are out.

9. Allow your cookies to cool before icing.

10. To make your royal icing, mix the water with the royal icing sugar. This is a bit of trial and error as at first, you need your icing to be at a toothpaste like consistency, so add a tsp of water at a time until you get to this consistency. Then divide into 3/4 and 1/4- the 1/4 of the mixture we will use to pipe the black "eyes"!

11. Add yellow food colouring to the bigger amount of royal icing mixture until it becomes a bright yellow.

12. Using an icing bottle, pipe your yellow icing around the edges of the biscuit and around the hole in the centre. Because your icing is thick, it will create a "wall" to stop the rest of the icing leaking.

13. Once you have lined your biscuits, add 1-2 more tsps of water to your yellow royal icing mixture to make it more runny.

14. Fill in your biscuits in between your outlines, which is called "flooding".

15. Add black food colouring to your remaining uncoloured mixture which you set aside earlier.

16. Using your icing bottle, pipe the eyes of the Stars by piping two lines on each cookie.

17. Leave out or put into the fridge to set.

Mario Kart Star Cookies

And that's it! You will have delicious and adorable cookies to share. These would be perfect for your next gaming session with friends, especially if you're playing Mario themed games!

If you make these, I'd love to see them as always! So please tweet me @CakeyDreamer or use my Instagram hashtag #cakeydreamerbakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns