17 May, 2016

Scones Out for Summer

Get it? Like school's out... Yeah okay, I won't try wordplay anymore.

How to make Scones


When I used to work in hotels, Spring and Summer were always the busiest times for Afternoon Tea. Everyone wanted to spend an afternoon lazing around in pretty gardens drinking tea and eating scones and pretty cakes, because that's what sophisticated adults do.

And I've never been to Afternoon tea in my life yet *sobs*. Maybe this year I finally will!

But thinking about this gave me an idea for a blog post. And not just one blog post, but a few.

Because if you, like me, haven't been for Afternoon Tea before then it's okay! Because we're going to make our own. 

Starting with Scones, which are really the stars of Afternoon Tea. I've made them a few times for my mum as she loves scones and they're quick and easy to make!

So let's start building our Afternoon Tea!

You will need:

  • 225g self raising flour
  • A pinch of salt
  • 55g butter
  • 25g caster sugar
  • 150ml milk
  • 1 free range egg (beaten, to glaze)
Method

1. Pre heat the oven to 220 degrees. 

2. Mix together the flour and the salt, then add the butter.

3. Mix the butter with your fingertips to create breadcrumbs.

4. Stir in the sugar.

5. Add the milk to create a soft dough mixture,

6. Spread flour onto your work surface and turn the dough out onto it.

7. Knead lightly and then roll out. Do not roll out too thin as the mixture won't rise that much, keep around 2cm thick. (I rolled mine out too thin which is why mine look too small, so learn from my mistakes!)

8. Use a circle cutter to cut out as many scones as you can, then roll the dough back up and roll out again to cut out more scones. Keep repeating until all your dough is used up. 

9. Put your scones onto a baking sheet and lightly brush with the beaten egg on the tops to glaze.

10. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until they have risen and turned golden on the tops.

And that's it! Once they are out of the oven you can leave them to cool and then serve. If you're going for a traditional afternoon tea then you'll want to serve with cream and jam. The cream goes on first by the way, just sayin'. 



If you want, you can have variations on this recipe by adding in raisins for Fruit Scones or chopped up cherries for Cherry Scones. You can even serve a mixture for your Afternoon Tea! 

Later this month, I'll show you some pretty cakes you can make to go with your Afternoon Tea, but actually I think any of these would also do lovely:
Have you ever tried making Scones? Or have you ever been to an Afternoon tea? I'd love to hear in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment- I love reading each and every one of your comments and try my absolute hardest to respond to every one!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns